Thursday, June 18, 2009

BASIC PANTRY ITEMS


I found a great website that was basic enough for me. I'm not the best cook/baker etc when it comes to been a stay-at-home-mom, I know there are far more talented people out there. One reason I wanted to share some of these things I read is to get a thread going on sharing ideas how to learn simple things and how to built on a talent no matter how small.

I thought the website gave nice basic ideas how to stock ones pantry/food storage where ever it may be. It took some stress off my shoulders.:) Now you can see I'm not a star chef by anymeans but the positive note is I have kept my family alive. No one has died yet and I'm willing to learn more.

Some simple suggested items to have on hand!

Oils:
Olive Oil,
Sesame Oil,
Peanut Oil,
Vegetable Oil ( of course one needs to be aware of allergies when stocking up)

Spices:
Oregano,
Basil,
Rosemary,
Parsley,
Tarragon,
Cumin,
Crushed Red Pepper,
Thyme,
Bay Leaves,
Paprika,
Cayenne,
Ginger,
Mustard Powder,
Marjoram,
Allspice,
Cinnamon,
Nutmeg,
Salt, Pepper,
Whole Black Peppercorns

Extracts:
Vanilla,
Lemon,
Peppermint,
Butter,
Almond,
Maple

Staples:
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Corn Starch
Flour
Sugar (Powdered, Granulated and Brown)
Yeast
Stock (Chicken, Beef, Vegetable)
Maple Syrup
Cooking Wine
Milk
Butter
Eggs
Mustard
Lemons (or Lemon Juice)
Mayonnaise
Garlic
Hot Sauce
Onions
Parmesan cheese

Other handy items:
Dried Beans
Pastas
Spaghetti Sauce
Canned Soup (Cream of Chicken or Mushroom)
Various Cheeses
Sour Cream
Cream Cheese
Canned or Frozen Vegetables (usually frozen taste better)
Celery
Potatoes
Celery
Carrots

I also learned the other day that the following spices are the new super Spices to add on to our plates.
1. Cinnamon - one teaspoon has more antioxidants than a 1/2 cup of blueberries or a cup of pomegranate juice.

2. Thyme - fights infection especially respiratory, may help chronic cough...add to chicken, eggs, egg whites

3. Oregano - 1/2 teaspoon has as much of antioxidants as 3 cups of fresh spinach.

4. Curry - helps prevent cognitive decline - add to chicken salad

5. Paprika = red pepper - helps metabolism, sprinkle on hummus, cottage cheese etc

6. Ginger - helps in inflammation, muscle soreness, nausea- add to lemonade, ice cream, water, fish, chicken...

7. Rosemary - powerful anti inflammatory- sprinkle on breads, chicken, etc...

The thread is yours, add your thoughts, ideas, wisdom, anything you find interesting and how you simplify your life.
Kirsi

4 comments:

  1. I always have at least 4 kinds of vinegar on hand: red wine, apple cider, white, and balsamic. I often add some red wine vinegar to recipes that call for wine--it adds some fruitiness, a little acidity, and no alcohol. Vinegar's a must if you want to make salad dressings from scratch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tip Lisa! I have Apple cider vinegar ( I usually put a 1 tsp into my first morning glass of water). I'll need to get few more vinegars to try andtry to make my own salad dressing.:)

    Would you have any salad dressing recipes to share?
    Kirsi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice dressing for a spinach salad:

    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed
    1 tablespoon poppy seeds
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 teaspoons minced onion
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

    Whisk all together or use the blender. Toss with spinach just before serving. Some toasted almond slivers and dried cranberries make nice toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made that today and it was really good! Lisa, thank you for sharing!
    kirsi

    ReplyDelete